First Baptist Church of Mixon- Jacksonville,Cherokee County,Texas
Directions: 4.2 mi N of Jacksonville on US 69, 5.1 mi E on FM 177 to FM 3052
Marker #: 5073011800
Year Dedicated: 2000
Size: 18"x 28"
First Baptist Church of Mixon- The first church in this area, then known as Pine Springs, was established as
an ecumencial church in 1853. The Rev. E.M. Carter and Elias Stephens, a deacon, established the Union
Baptist Church in 1866 with 15 members, all fromerly of the earlier congregation. The church was renamed
Pine Springs Baptist Church in 1881. Members erected a white frame building on this site in 1887. The
community was renamed Mixon when a post office was established in 1889. The Rev. W.R. White, later
president of Baylor University, served the church from 1911 to 1913. The settlement grew over the next
several years. In 1946 the church was renamed First Baptist Church of Mixon. A new building was erected
in 1952. Among the last vestiges of Mixon, the church continues in the traditions of its founders. (2000).